Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Blueprint for Getting it Wrong!!


Yesterday I received an email request to make a donation to a national nonprofit.  The subject line was “You’re an inspiration.”  Hmmm … I was intrigued.  So I opened it.

 It was from an animal rescue organization and it started out with 3 pictures of abused animals.  A tripod boxer with the caption “you fixed my broken leg” (by removing it?), a sweet-looking grey kitty “you removed an arrow from my stomach” and the third picture was of a terribly naked puppy, “you fixed my third-degree burns.”  Wow, if I did all that, I am impressed!

Beneath the pictures was the text.  It started:  friend.” 
Yes, just friend. Without the capitalization, without any kind of “dear friend” or “howdy friend”, just “friend.”  and THEN it said, “because of your generous support”, which by itself seems like a great start.  BUT, I’ve never donated to this organization.  So, right off the bat my take-away is 1) they don’t know my name and 2) they don’t know I’ve never given them money. Pretty sad for a national nonprofit.
The rest of the email said:
Because of your generous support, [we] were able to help save neglected animals like Nicky, Arrow, and Rocky – animals desperately in need of lifesaving medical care.
Thank you for stepping up to help these abandoned animals receive the love and care they deserve – you truly are an inspiration! I hope you are as proud as I am to know that Nicky, Arrow, and Rocky, each made full recoveries, all because of support from friends like you.
To help more abandoned, abused, and neglected animals, please click here.
It was signed, “Warmly” by the President & CEO.  I wanted to shout:  “Where’s the story??!”  Pick one of these animals and TELL ME THEIR STORY!”  Tell me how you found them and whether they still need a forever home.  Your only job was to make me care, and you totally botched it.   
I likely would have overlooked all the other obvious missteps if they’d just given me a story.  And an effective story? One that follows the rules of effective story telling for social change? Well, that might just have made me pull out my credit card.
To learn more about how to craft stories that create social change, check out our storytelling website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @storytellingrva

No comments:

Post a Comment